Ultimate Paella w/ Showboat Smoked Sausage
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 frying chicken, cut into pieces (cut breasts in1/2)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-18 oz package Showboat Smoked Sausage, sliced at least 1 inch or longer
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley leaves chopped, reserve 1/3rd for garnish
- 1-15 oz can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 4 cups short grain Spanish rice
- 6 cups warm water
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 lb-jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- ½ cup frozen sweet peas, thawed
- ***Over-top-ultimate ingredient*** 2 lobster tails!
- Lemon wedges
- This paella with Showboat Sausage recipe is extravagant and involves several steps, but is well worth it! The perfect seasoning in the Showboats provides the ideal foundation on which to layer all the other flavors for a very special & ultimate dish!
- Special equipment: Large paella pan or wide shallow skillet.
- Combine the paprika and oregano in a small bowl. Rub the spice mix all over the chicken and marinate chicken for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Heat oil in a paella pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the Showboats until browned, remove and reserve. Add chicken skin-side down and brown on all sides, turning with tongs. Add salt and freshly ground pepper. Remove from pan and reserve.
- In the same pan, make a sofrito by sautéing the onions, garlic, and parsley. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes on a medium heat. Then, add tomatoes and cook until the mixture caramelizes a bit and the flavors meld. Fold in the rice and stir-fry to coat the grains.
- Pour in water and simmer for 10 minutes, gently moving the pan around so the rice cooks evenly and absorbs the liquid. Add chicken, Showboats, and saffron, simmering about 8 minutes. Add shrimp, tucking them into the rice.
- The shrimp will take only about 8 minutes to cook. Give the paella a good shake and let it simmer, without stirring, until the rice looks fluffy and most liquid has been absorbed, about 10 -12 minutes.
- * Optional* During the last 5 minutes of cooking, when the rice is filling the pan, add the lobster tails. When the paella is cooked and the rice looks fluffy and moist, turn the heat up for 40 seconds until you can smell the rice toast at the bottom, then it’s perfect.
- Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with peas, parsley and lemon wedges.