Showboat Sausage Strata
- 1 – 18 oz package Showboat Sausage HOT or MILD, sliced ¼ inch
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound loaf rustic French day old bread, sliced or pulled in ¾ inch pieces
- 10 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup green onion
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Heat butter in a large high-sided skillet over high heat. Cook onion until lightly caramelized, 10 to 12 minutes (adjust heat if browning too quickly). Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Sauté sliced Showboats over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes, drain on paper towel lined plate.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, milk, and season with freshly ground pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add bread, Showboats, and onion and toss well to combine. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours
- Butter a 9x9x2 baking dish. Spread mixture in dish. Coat a large piece of parchment with cooking spray. Cover strata with parchment, then with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, bake until top is golden brown and crusty, 10- 20 minutes more. Garnish with green onion and let rest for 15 minutes. Serve warm.