Showboat Sausage Dressing
- 1 – 18 oz package Showboat, cut into 1/3 inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 to 2 baking apples like Granny Smith peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, almonds or pecans
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 pound dressing bread cubes, seasoned or plain
- 32 oz chicken or vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sauté Showboat sausages over medium-high heat until golden edges appear, about 5-7 minutes. Remove Showboats with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add onions, celery, apples and nuts using sausage drippings. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Stir thyme and sage. Add Showboats back to pan to combine all ingredients. Stir in dressing bread cubes and enough stock to moisten bread cubes, 16 oz – 32 oz.
- Generously butter 13x9x2- or other desired baking dish. Transfer stuffing to prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down; bake until heated through, about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is crisp and golden, about 20 minutes longer.